Click to enlarge
Open the file PAWNS.TXT with a text editor and modify the cells according your wishes.
The same rules applies as for the above Piece Square Tables.
Tuning other evaluation tables
a couple of important
Open the file TABLES.TXT with a text editor and modify the cells according your wishes.
- Modify the cells of the PST Knight Outpost Bonus as you are used to in the meantime.
- Modify the King Safey table with decimal values.
As explained above the calculated total weight serves as an index to this table and becomes the final score for the king we are evaluating.
- Modify the Double Attack Bonus table with decimal values.
Apply a bonus when two pieces are hanging, the lowest hanging piece usually is lost and serves as an index to the above table. For example, when the white Queen attacks a Rook and a Pawn at the same time the index =1 and thus a bonus of 0.25 is given, or, if a white pawn on E5 attacks both the black knight on F6 and the black bishop on D6 the index becomes 2 if the losing square is defended and 3 if the losing square is undefended. Depending on that a bonus of 0.50 or 0.75 is given.
- Modify the Bishop Pair Bonus table with decimal values.
Evaluation of the Bishop Pair depends on the number of own pawns on the board, usually meaning the Bishop Pair becomes more worth in the end game.
- Modify the Immobile Knight penalty table with normal 2 character numbers.
Knights that have few squares to go (are immobile) are penalized.
- Modify the Immobile Bishop penalty table with normal 2 character numbers.
Bishops that have few squares to go (are immobile) are penalized.
- Modify the Pins and Xray threats tables.
A white bishop on G5 that pins a black knight on F6 because of a black queen on D8 or E7 gets a bonus of 15.
A white rook on E1 that pins a black bishop on E6 because of a BK or BQ on E7 or E6 gets a bonus of 40.
A white queen on F3 that pins a black rook on C6 because of a black king on A8 or B7 gets a bonus of 40.
Likewise for Xray threats:
- WBg2 + WNf3 vs a BK|BQ|BR on d5 contains a hidden threat and gets a 20|15|20 bonus accordingly.
- WRe1 + WBe3 vs a BK|BQ on e4|e5|e6|e7|e8 contains a hidden threat and gets a bonus of 40.
- WQf3 + WNd5 vs a BK on c6|b7|a8 contains a hidden threat and gets a bonus of 40.
- Modify the Piece Value tables with decimal values.
The most important table of a chess engine, the value of the pieces. Changes are extremely sensitive.
Seems to be enough (and perhaps already too much) for one version. Good luck with all the new possibilities