History - Due to the quick rising of the popularity of the Internet in the mid 90's the PGN format became popular as well. And when chess GUI's started to support the PGN format up to a point one could play eng-eng matches from predefined PGN opening sets a new phenomenon was born as previously one could only play matches from opening books.
Jeroen sent me his first opening testset in 1998 and the second (both 50 balanced positions) in 2000 which I used to improve REBEL. You can view and download these sets from the DGT PGN viewer.
After my retirement in 2003 Jeroen took a break too but became active again in 2005/6 when he joined the Rybka team as book editor and also started to create new test sets.
From the DGT PGN viewer you can download the (in total) 40 test suites in one file or download them in 40 separate files (of course) in one zip-file. The total number of openings is currently 2086.
In the past few weeks and months I have made 5 new testsuites for engine-engine testing. Here is a short description:
- Noomen KI Mar del Plata 2017: 50 positions from the King's Indian Mar del Plata variation, a very complicated line that leads to very interesting play and a lower draw rate compared to classical opening lines. This testsuite covers the 9.Ne1 main line and the 9.Bd2 Taimanov variation.
- Noomen KI Mar del Plata II 2017: 50 positions from the King's Indian Mar del Plata variation, in this testsuite the 9.Nd2 line and the 9.b4 Bayonet attack are covered.
- Noomen Ruy Lopez Testsuite 2017: 50 positions from the Ruy Lopez, covering all topical lines in the Ruy: Marshall gambit, Chigorin, Zaitsev, Berlin Wall, Delayed Steinitz and so forth.
- Noomen Slav Testsuite 2017: 50 positions from the Slav Defence, one of the most popular opening lines in engine matches. All important lines are covered in the set, f.e. the Moscow gambit, the anti-Moscow, the Botwinnik variation, the classical Slav, the Bronstein variation and so on.
- UltraShort Lines: tired of all those long book lines? Then this testsuite might be for you. It has 50 positions with a minimum of theory, ranging from 1 ply to 6 plies. From that point the engines are on their own. Find out how they play the most important opening lines by themselves, without having book moves available.
Jeroen Noomen, July 2017
Update October 2017
- WCh_Tournament_1948 - all opening lines from the 1948 Worldchampionship tournament, won by Botwinnik.
- Noomen King's Gambit Suite 2017 - 50 King's gambit lines, bringing back the romantic school from the 19th Century. Most lines will favour black, but it is still fun to see games being played with this ancient opening!
- Noomen KI Classical Systems 2017 - 50 classical King's Indian positions; the set is based on the book Kotronias on the King's Indian Volume 4.
- Noomen KI Fianchetto Systems 2017 - 50 King's Indian positions in which white plays g2-g3; the set is based on the book Kotronias on the King's Indian Volume 1.
- Noomen KI Rare Lines 2017 - 50 King's Indian positions with less popular Lines, like the Four Pawns attack; the Smyslov-Inkiov system and several others. This set is based on the book Kotronias on the King's Indian Volume 5.
- Noomen KI Samisch 2017 - 50 Samisch King's Indian positions; the set is based on the book Kotronias on the King's Indian Volume 5.