With these extra informations, for a user, a book can be better tuned with the Weights on score and Weights on learn functions and for a programmer to make better choices depending on the strength of his engine.
The 3 new functions in a nutshell -
1. Pre-fill learn byte - calculates the learn value of the original book (100-125).
2. Make Polyglot Book - from a PGN create a new book called polyglot.bin with the learn (elo) values below 100.
3. Merge Books - merge the original book and polyglot.bin, the result is called book.bin.
1. The freeware books (see above) can be used following the above 3 steps and use the pre-installed ccrl-3400.pgn as an example.
2. Using PGN with filled elo rating tags is important for the programmer hence it's impossible to calculate the elo rating and the learn value (in table 2) of all positions will be zero. For the user it will have no effect. If a PGN has no filled elo rating tags select "0" when prompted for the elo rating in Make Polyglot Book.
3. Make sure that the PGN collection you use contains only engine-engine games at least 100 elo higher than your own engine. For the creation of the new ProDeo book we have chosen for an minimum elo of 3000 roughly 250 higher than its rating to be on the safe side.
4. When using Merge Books always (emphasis added) select the original book first and thereafter polyglot.bin because merge doesn't recalculate the weights of the first book while it in principle should. We are not sure if that's a bug or a feature, the latter certainly has its merits. As long as you are aware.
5. With the new Make Polyglot Book feature opening books can be easily made bigger than 256Mb which may cause problems (even a crash) with some of the functions of the POLY util. The cure is to start POLY via P.BAT which allocates 1.3Gb of memory instead of the default of 256Mb.
6. Polyglot books made larger than 2Gb will crash due to the limitation of the 32 bit code. That's still 131.072.000 positions!
New features version 1.3b
Press F12 for overview
[ F1 ] - From an EPD delete bad or too good Positions, default margin is -1.50 / +1.50
[ F2 ] - Quickly count EPD records.
[ F3 ] - Quickly count games PGN.
[ F4 ] - Convert an analyzed EPD to PGN for the use of making Polyglot books with score and depth.
Tags like "bm" | "ce" | "acd" must be present else the function makes no sense.
After the conversion create a book from the PGN with the new Polyglot 1.5.
Example: polyglot.exe make-book -pgn file.pgn -bin file.bin -max-ply 100 -min-game 1
[ F11 ] - Help, moves you to this page.